Nowadays I find myself looking for delicious food that is easy to make and not have a lot of dishes to clean up afterward. Anyone else with me here? This is why I am loving our new cast iron skillet from Stargazer. Be sure to visit our Instagram page to enter to win your own 10.5″ cast iron skillet and black logo apron. The deadline is Friday, Oct. 16 at 5 p.m. to ENTER TO WIN. #Giveaway
The good folks at Stargazer sent us their 12-inch skillet and what we learned is that their skillets are smooth to the touch, naturally non-stick, and easy to clean. It was the perfect cooking vessel for our Chicken and Black Bean Enchilada Skillet recipe.
Want to know more about this recipe? The enchilada skillet brings all the taste of red chile enchiladas – the red sauce brings the dish together with the right amount of heat from the New Mexico dried chiles. You can find our recipe for Red Chile Sauce by clicking on this link here. The tender bites of chicken and black beans add extra flavor and protein but you know we all love our enchiladas to be cheesy. Don’t hold out. Add lots and lots of cheese to your dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 cups red chile sauce
- 10 corn tortillas torn into quarters
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can black beans, drained, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Jalapenos, cilantro, green onions, black olives and sour cream to garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, cumin, and salt and cook, until softened about 5 minutes
- Add red chile sauce to onion mixture and stir to combine
- Fold in tortillas, chicken, and beans until thoroughly coated
- Return mixture to reserved skillet and cook over medium heat until warmed through about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle Monterey Jack cheese over
- Transfer cast iron skillet to oven and bake until cheese is bubbling and turning slightly brown, about 3-5 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, jalapenos, green onions, sliced black olives, and cilantro, if desired
Serve immediately with some Mexican rice and an iced cold beverage.