Tired of boring lunches? It can be tough finding new ways to use familiar ingredients. So you have to try this easy lunchtime Poblano grilled cheese sandwich with Oaxaca cheese and Spanish chorizo. The rajas or strips of charred Poblano peppers provides a mild heat to this hearty grilled cheese sandwich while the smoked Spanish chorizo adds a rich savory element making this a decadent meal perfect for sharing…if you can.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Oaxaca Cheese, Poblano Peppers, and Spanish Chorizo
1 Poblano pepper
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
3 to 4 ounces of Oaxaca cheese, shredded
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
2 slices good quality sourdough bread
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 link Spanish chorizo
1. Rub the Poblano pepper with 1 teaspoon olive oil and char over a flame on your stove until completely blackened. Place in a plastic bag for five minutes. Remove from bag and peel off the charred skin. Cut the pepper into thin strips and set aside.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a small sauté pan; add the sliced red onion and cook until translucent about 3-5 minutes. Reserve.
3. Thinly slice the Spanish chorizo lengthwise.
4. Lightly butter one side of the two sour dough bread slices. Heat a frying pan over medium-low heat. Place a slice of the bread with the butter down in the frying pan.
5. Assemble the sandwich in the frying pan, layering all of the ingredients. Top with the other slice of bread with the buttered side up.
6. Heat sandwich until the bread is golden brown and the cheese starts to melt. Be careful turning the sandwich over as you do not want all of the ingredients to fall out. Cut in half and enjoy.