You need to make our golden brown breakfast empanadas filled with fluffy scrambled eggs, ham, jalapeños, and cheese. Lots of cheese!
One bite and we immediately knew we’d be making these over and over again. And why not?
The filling is super easy to make in one skillet.
Who doesn’t know how to make scrambled eggs, right? Sure, you can make your own empanada dough, but who has time for that in the morning? Get yourself some prepared empanada disks in the frozen section of your local grocery store.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 3 oz. ham, diced
- 2 oz. diced jalapeños
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten plus one for egg wash
- 8 oz. Monterey Jack Cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 store bought empanada disks, for baking
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheet with parchment or silicone mat.
- In a large frying pan heat the oil over medium heat.
- Sauté ham and jalapeños, about 3 minutes.
- Add 4 eggs and cheese and mix well, stirring constantly while eggs begin to set.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the empanada disk with a rolling pin to stretch about one inch around.
- Add two tablespoons of egg mixture to one side of the dough.
- With your fingers, dab a little water and rub the edge of one side of the dough disk.
- Gently fold the other half of the dough over the egg mixture and seal with the side that has the water
- With a fork, gently crimp the edges of the sealed dough and place onto a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, lightly beat 1 egg to make an egg wash. Then brush the surface of the empanadas.
- Bake your empanadas for 20 minutes.
- Serve warm with your favorite salsa and enjoy!
Store bought empanada wrappers may require different baking temperature and time, so please follow the instructions on the packaging.