Happy Valentine’s Day!
You may know them as: Orejas, French hearts, pig’s ears, butterflies, palm leaves, elephant ears, glasses, or simply as Palmiers. This little treat will have your Valentines’ heart aflutter.
Palmiers are crisp little cookies with endless possibilities, you will not believe how easy these are to make. You can purchase puff pastry at most markets or make your own if you are feeling fancy and up for a challenge. I think store-bought is just fine. Besides, who has the time? Using colored sugar is an easy way to add romance to your Palmiers, but there are many fillings: nuts, jams, honey, candied fruit, fresh fruit, fruit purees, or go savory and add thinly sliced deli meats, cheese, and pesto…for starters. Just remember to apply the filling very thinly or you may have problems rolling your logs. Keep it simple, you are not making a chocolate croissant or calzone. That’s another post.
Valentine’s Day Orejas (Palmiers)
- 6 tablespoons red or pink sanding sugar
- 1 package store bought puff pastry sheets (thawed)
- 1 egg (room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of red sugar on a clean work surface and carefully unfold one sheet of puff pastry and lay flat on top of the sugar.
- Carefully roll out the pastry with a rolling pin.
- Gently beat the egg and water in a small bowl using a fork. Brush the top side of the the puff pastry with the egg wash.
- Evenly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar on top of puff pastry.
- Roll two opposing sides inwards toward each other, usually the two “shorter” sides.
- Leave a small gap between the rolled sides as you will want to gently pinch a crease down the length of the log. This will make it look more like a hear and less like an ear.
- Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
- Cover with plastic and place in the freezer for 10 minuter.
- Preheat oven to 400° and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a sharp knife cut the logs into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on the baking sheets leaving a little space between them as they puff up slightly.
- 10. Bake for 12 -15 minutes or until golden brown. Check the bottoms for browning.
- 11. Allow to cool before serving.