This Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole is the perfect dish to serve on a Sunday with the family or to take to a potluck. It’s always a hit! How can you go wrong with layers of corn tortilla, melted cheese, succulent chicken and a green chile sauce that brings it all together?
Looking for some heat?
Beware! This salsa verde recipe below carries some heat. It’s mostly from the added chiles de arbol. If you have a sensitive stomach, you may want to omit the chiles de arbol in your Green Chile Chicken Enchilada dish.
Luckily for you, we have a few salsa verde recipes. You can find one of our most popular recipes for SALSA Verde made with Hatch chiles here.
In addition, if you have have a rotisserie chicken in your refrigerator, here are some great ideas on how to use it up, such as Chicken Tinga, Sopes, Tacos, and of course, our Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Casserole
Layered with shredded chicken, onions, jack cheese, tortillas all comes together with a spicy salsa verde sauce.
Green Chile / Salsa Verde
- 2 tbsps Olive oil
- 6 Jalapenos, stems removed (You can take out the seeds if you don’t want the heat)
- 3 Chiles de Arbol, stems removed
- 10 Tomatillos, charred
- 1/2 White onion, quartered
- 4 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup Cilantro
- 1 Lime, juiced
- tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 cup Water
- 2 cups Shredded chicken
- 8-10 corn tortillas, warmed (We use a microwave for :60 seconds)
- 4 cups Monterey jack cheese
- 1/2 White onion, thinly sliced into half moons
How to Make the Green Chile / Salsa Verde
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- In a large frying pan or comal, add the olive oil over medium heat.
- Place the chile peppers, onion, tomatillos and garlic and cook until ingredients start to char a bit, constantly turning to not burn. This will take about 4-5 minutes.
- In a blender, add the water, all of the charred ingredients, lime juice and cilantro. Blend until smooth and velvety. Set aside 2 cups.
How to Make the Enchilada Casserole
- In a medium-sized frying pan, add 2 cups of the green chile sauce over medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and mix well, cooking for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a 9-inch deep baking dish, spoon about a 1/2 cup of the chile verde on the bottom of the dish.
- Layer the corn tortillas over the sauce to cover the entire bottom of the dish.
- Add about half of the chicken mixture. Top with sliced onions and cheese. Spoon more of the green chile sauce to cover the entire dish.
- Repeat the process. At the end of the process, top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and begins to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for about 10 minutes before serving.