Nothing smelled better on a Saturday morning than my mom’s Chorizo con Huevos. As an adult I would come home on a weekend or during the holidays and it was the warm aromas of the spicy chorizo that took me right back to my childhood.
It’s a simple recipe but one every good home cook who wants to have a traditional Mexican breakfast should learn to master. Another similar dish is Chorizo con Papas.
For the Chorizo con Huevos recipe you can omit the jalapeños. I like the added heat to the dish.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 package (9 ounce) pork chorizo (we prefer Cacique brand)
- 8 eggs, scrambled
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add the oil and onions. Saute the onions for about 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the jalapenos and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium low.
- Add the chorizo and break up into chunks with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Cook the chorizo until it softens and add the scrambled eggs.
- Cook the egg and chorizo mixture for another 5 to 10 minutes until done.
- Serve with a side of refried beans and warm tortillas.