We’re excited to introduce you to a brittle you’re going to crave and make over and over again. Sweet with a whisper of heat from cayenne pepper, the Pepita Brittle makes a perfect gift for the holidays, a topping for your pumpkin pies, ice cream or simply eat it as a candied treat.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cubed (4 oz)
- non-stick cooking spray
- 2 cups pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment and a silicone spatula with non-stick cooking spray.
- Begin making caramel by placing sugar and butter into a medium pot over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the pepitas, cinnamon, salt and cayenne. Reserve.
- Using a candy thermometer, take the caramel to 300ºF, without stirring. Once at 300ºF, carefully, but quickly, add vanilla extract and baking soda. It will bubble up so be careful.
- Carefully pour the caramel over the pepitas and use the coated spatula to quickly stir the caramel and pepitas together until fully coated. Quickly transfer to prepared baking sheet and press flat with the spatula. The mixture will still be hot so please, please, please be careful.
- Once the brittle is set (about 30 minutes), crack the brittle or cut into pieces with a sharp knife.